Society for Uttaranchal Development and Himalayan Action (SUDHA) has been serving the cause of people-centred, people-managed, people-controlled and people-owned development processes. It believes that sustainable development and good governance can be ensured only through active and effective involvement of the local community irrespective of caste, class or gender. It endeavours to empower the people in ways such that they can make their own decisions regarding their progress and build a stable society that is free of social, economic and gender inequity.
SUDHA is a progressive social organization registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860 and was established on 1st October 1999. Besides SUDHA Accreditation includes under IT Act 1961, Section 12A, 80G and FCRA, working in District Almora (Uttaranchal) and its vicinity in the fields of Training, Socio-Economic Research and Development. Likewise, the organization seizes a good experience in SHGs Formation, their Strengthening & Skill Up-gradation, Promotion of IGP/Entrepreneurship Development Programmes, Reinforcing Sensitization Programmes for Women and Children on Health & Nutrition, Sanitation, Natural Resource Management, Livelihood Generation etc. The organization is based in Almora, Uttarakhand having its work presence throughout the state of Uttrakhand. Recently we have also amended our bye-laws for working at all India levels.
The organization has been formed with the objective of developing the human resource base to achieve the goals of development and community outreach training and capacity building. Accordingly, the organization has been working in the state of Uttarakhand for more than a decade and has multi-sectoral experience especially in the field of capacity building and training, a support agency for planning under various government programs, as well as Monitoring and Evaluating Agency empanelled with Uttarakhand Institute of Rural Development (UIRD) in Uttarakhand.
SUDHA has also been partnering and implementing agencies for various external aided projects, some of the major collaborators being MoRD (GoI), MoHFW (GoI), UWCD-State Government, NABARD, PLAN-UK, UDWDP/World Bank, State Government, District Industries Center, UIRD, SBMA, MCF. The organization also possesses experience of implementing the externally funded project. In the area of Strengthening Community-based Institutions and promoting Livelihoods SUDHA with agencies viz. NABARD, BASIX, DRDA, UWCDS, UDWDP etc. has formed and strengthened around 250 Community Based Institutions including SHGs, FIGs, Kisan Clubs, Federations which are apex bodies for grassroots development activities and sustainable growth.
Few of the projects of worth implemented by the organization include World Bank aided UDWDP Project, Consulting assignments under ULIPH (IFAD aided), Strengthening of Community-based Organizations under Diversified Agriculture Support Project (DASP), NABARDs Rural Innovation Fund, SHG Livelihood Improvement through DRDA-NRLM, DIC-DRDA Supported IGA Skill Up-gradation Programmes etc. all endeavouring at grooming and empowering the community towards self-fortification and socio-economic upliftment.
SUDHA’s work has been spread over the entire state however some key assignments executed are confined to mainly all Hill Districts, wherein the area is marked by characteristics like Inaccessibility, Fragility, Marginality and Diversity.
- SUDHA has been empanelled as Resource Institution (RIs) with SFAC, (a Govt. of India Agency mandated for developing Farmers Producers Organization and promoting agribusiness at the national level) for promoting farmers’ producers’ organization (FPOs) in the region.
- SUDHA is also empanelled member under Panchayat Empowerment and Accountability Incentive Scheme (PEAIS) Uttarakhand.
- SUDHA is a member of the State Steering Committee formed under PCPNDT Act in Dehradun for taking action against the illegal practice of female foeticide in various ultrasound centres in the State
- SUDHA has been empanelled under FICCI-SEDF to receive grants. This is in the initial phase.
- SUDHA is associated with USHA Ltd. as an Agency to run its Satellite Stitching and Sewing Centres with Women in Almora District (A CSR)
- Partner Organization of IIM-PACT (CSR) provides educational opportunities to girls, from socially and economically disadvantaged communities of India, who traditionally have no access to schooling.
- SUDHA received the ‘2nd Excellence Award 2011’ instituted by the State Bank of India, Delhi Circle. The Award recognizes SUDHA’s outstanding performance/contribution in the field of Capacity Development of Rural people. SUDHA has also received Plan Global Awards 2010 for Best Project
- Design & Implementation for UMANG Project which focuses on Child Rights and Child Centred Community Development. Further, SUDHA's work was also evaluated by the CITI Microfinance and was rated 5th organization all over India which clearly indicates our best competency towards the livelihoods.